Thursday, March 18, 2010

Living up to the blog title...

I don't have a very good reason for why updates are lacking. In fact the only reason was the arrival of my birthday and then a couple of dats later Final Fantasy 13!
So, after managing to put 80 hours of last week into the game, I've almost 100% cleared it. I don't usually play games like that, only the ones that deem worthy to steal my life.
I really enjoyed the game, despite how linear it was. The story was good, not the best, but enough to make me feel something for the characters. Althoguh the ending I had to watch twice to get my head around what exactly happened.
The new battle system is nice as well, although a little easy once you get the hang of it. But it's fast paced and flows well, unlike most RPGs that don't have real time combat,

Anyway enough of that game, and more about mine I think. I really wanted to have another video ready for this post but alas I have been lazy and only now decided to open up Code::Blocks and pick up from where I left off.
How ever after my last post, I decided to re-write the whole 'engine' and am still in the process of doing so, so if I showed you a video now, the best I could probably do is something like my first post.
The reason I decided to re-write it is 2-fold. One because I didn't like the coding style I was using. As the project grew I was confusing myself a little bit. Secondly because I was programming elements that just wouldn't be needed. Mainly the GUI... Yes the window things were nice, but I will never use them in my game. From now on I will spend less time on gimmicks that are cool, or I think "That might be useful later" when in fact it wont and code only what's needed. I have a very good idea of what the game entales now, as I have spent a lot of time jotting down notes, and drawing up charts while at work (yes it's boring and empty in the bar I work in).

My next post will have something nice to look at I promise. I actually hand wrote the code for the map editor "auto-tile" feature which I will get working asap (if you remember I was going on about this in a previous post - it's something like the Advance Wars editor when you place grass\water etc...). I have also spent some time on drawing up some sprites that I'm quite pleased with :P So until next time, thanks for read. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment